In 2009, the Bentham Open Science journal The Open Chemical Physics Journal published a study contending dust from the World Trade Center attacks contained "active nanothermite". Following publication, the journal's editor-in-chief Marie-Paule Pileni resigned stating, "They have printed the article without my authorization… I have written to Bentham, that I withdraw myself from all activities with them." ... In 2013, The Open Bioactive Compounds Journal was one of the journals that accepted an obviously bogus paper submitted as part of the Who's Afraid of Peer Review? sting. It has since been discontinued.I received the following request to be a peer-reviewer of an article outside my expertise:
From: Editorial Office [firstname.lastname@example.org]Demonstrating the journal's lack of knowledge about its referees, the same email, addressed to Dr. Kaye instead of Dr. DH Kaye, came to another address I use an hour earlier.
Sent: Feb. 21, 2018, 12:50 PM
Dr. DH Kaye, Penn State Univ, Sch Law, University Pk PA 16803 USA.
In view of your expertise in the field, your name has been recommended as a potential reviewer for the manuscript entitled “Probabilistic Reasoning and Risk-Constrained Dynamic Spectrum Access” that has been submitted for publication in Recent Advances in Communications and Networking Technology. Please review the abstract if it comes in your field of expertise and provide us your willingness to review the complete manuscript. I hope that you will be able to help us. ... I would appreciate if you could kindly respond to this message at your earliest. Since we are endeavoring to provide an efficient review process for our authors, we would request that send your comments and recommendations back to us as soon as possible. Thank you for your consideration.
Noushaba Azhar, Editorial Manager, Email: email@example.com
An email from the Open Journal of Probability and Statistics (reproduced below) boasts of seven successful years of publication. No volume for 2015 is online. 2014 was a better year -- there was a grand total of one article.
A webpage (12/21/16) cites endorsements from six Nobel Laureates. Three are still alive. One, Ferid Murad, also is the president of allegedly "bogus" conferences connected to Bentham. For more critical comments, see
- From: e-Book [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:01 AM
Subject: e-Book Invitation
Dear Prof. Kaye, Bentham Science is an established international publisher of quality print and online journals and books covering varied disciplines of science, technology, medicine and social sciences. ... Considering your important contributions in your field [whatever it might be], we would like to invite you to submit a proposal for an eBook, an eBook series or an eLecture in your area of expertise as an author or editor. eBooks are a relatively recent development ... . In case you are interested to contribute ... , could you please send us a one page abstract along with your c.v. and list of international publications ... . Kindly also send us a paragraph justifying the importance of the field and why it is likely to be of interest to a large number of readers. ... Sincerely, Dr. M. Alam, Director of Publications, Bentham eBooks
- 3/1/16: The journal Current Drug Abuse Reviews (CDAR) aims to publish the highest quality reviews (mini- and full-length), meta-analyses and drug clinical trial studies on all latest advances on alcohol and drug abuse and addiction. The journal further comprises an agenda listing relevant meetings and conferences that will take place in near future, and advertisements. ... It is a pleasure to invite you to submit a proposal for such a theme issue in a frontier area of your choice ... to email@example.com Your proposal should contain your CV ... Alternatively, you may want to consider submitting a review article to the journal. Guest Editors of thematic issues will be entitled to an honorarium of US$400 ...
- 7/19/16, 1/27/17: Same email from Joris C. Vester, Editor-in-Chief. Dr. Vester is an associate professor of pharmacology in the Netherlands.
- 11/8/17: Back to a solicitation for CDAR from "M. Alam" [firstname.lastname@example.org], who seems to have lost his doctor degree. Now he writes that "the following discount offers may be availed by prospective contributors: 30% discount on the single issue cost to authors on the purchase of issue(s) in which their article is published; 30% discount on Open Access Plus fee ... Multiple issue copies at discounted rates." The email was not even addressed to me, but rather to "Dr. F. Alonso, Departamento de Química Orgánic, University of Alicant, Alicant, Spain."
- 9/27/16: Dr. D.H. Kaye, School of Law ... Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering is now in its fourth successful year ... It is a pleasure to invite you to submit a proposal for such a theme issue, in a frontier area of your choice ... Guest Editors of thematic issues will be entitled to: an honorarium of US$ 400 per thematic Issue containing a minimum of 100 printed pages and a free copy of the printed issue. ...
Dr. Jinglong Wu & Dr. Kewei Chen, Co-Editors
- From: Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering [email@example.com
Sent: Mar 21 at 3:43 PM
Subject: Rapid publication of your articles in the journal of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering
Dear Dr. Kaye,
Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering (NBE) promotes the best interdisciplinary research in neuroscience and biomedical engineering. NBE welcomes original articles, research reviews, and book reviews in any domain of neural and biomedical engineering ranging in content from practical/clinical applications through experimental science, technological developments to quantitative and/or statistical methodology discussions.
Guest Editors may organize, arrange peer-review and submit the complete thematic issue themselves or may wish to receive editorial support from the Publishers, from extending invitations to prominent people in the field, inviting submissions relevant to the theme, to managing of peer-reviewing process through referees with high h- index. Guest Editors will receive an honorarium of US$600 besides a free copy of the printed issue and free online subscription to any three selected Bentham journals from the (List), which also includes some of our high Impact journals. Bentham Science expects that the referees have a good h-index (preferably above 15). Guest editors are required to have the referees approved by the publisher prior to having the manuscripts reviewed. Final referee reports would also need to be submitted with the manuscripts.
... All submitted manuscripts are peer-reviewed prior to a possible decision on acceptance for publication.
Proposals for a thematic issue in an important field of current interest should [outline] the title of the theme issue, significance of the selected theme along with the list of names and affiliations of contributing authors, titles of the articles as well as the date of submission of the complete issue.
We look forward to receiving your interest in article or thematic issue publication.
Sincerely, Profs. Kewei Chen & Jinglong Wu
Co-Editors, Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering (NBE)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgDr. D.H. Kaye
SPECIAL LIMITED TIME OFFER
Free of Charge Open Access PlusArticles submitted between January 01st to 30th June 2018 will be published as Open Access. Open Access publishing provides greater accessibility to the article. To view some of the Open access articles in the journal, please click here
Rapid Publication: Quick processing and publication of the submitted papers. The manuscript will be published online within 20 days of final acceptance.
Discounted Offers: -30% discount on the single-issue cost to authors on the purchase of issue(s) in which their article is published. -Multiple issue copies at discounted rates.
- 11/28/16 4:27 AM: Dear Dr. Kaye, It is my pleasure to invite you to submit research articles, reviews, letters and thematic issues to The Open Statistics & Probability Journal. This peer reviewed Open Access online journal publishes articles in all areas of statistics including biostatistics. ... Members of Bentham OPEN are entitled to discounts on the Standard Open Access charges; ... Any queries should be addressed to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you soon. With kind regards, Yours sincerely, Milan Stehlík, Editor-in-Chief, The Open Statistics & Probability Journal firstname.lastname@example.org
- From: The Open Statistics & Probability Journal
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:15 AM [and again 5/18/17]
Subject: Invitation for the Post of Editorial Board Membership (The Open Statistics & Probability Journal)
Dear Dr. Kaye, The Open Statistics & Probability Journal is an Open Access online journal, which publishes research articles, reviews, letters and guest edited single topic issues in statistics and probability. All areas of statistics are covered including biostatistics. The journal is in its Seventh successful year of publication, and is indexed ... . In view of your important contributions in the field, we would like to propose your name for the membership of the Editorial Advisory Board ... . Please visit the journal’s website at http://benthamopen.com/TOSPJ/home/ for the journal‘s aims and scope. If you find these to be in line with your field of work and are interested in our proposal then please send us your updated C.V. together with your list of publications, h-index and citations for approval. ... We look forward to receiving your positive response at email@example.com. Please ignore this email, if you find it irrelevant. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Sincerely, Mehwish Akhter, Sr. Manager Publications, The Open Statistics & Probability Journal, firstname.lastname@example.org