Not to be confused with the McGraw Hill company that publishes educational materials (not to mention Gaetano Scirea, one of the greatest football defenders), Scientific Research Association (SCIREA) is a "global academic organization" that lists the following "Open Science Policy Guide Lines to Submit the Manuscript:
The absolute prototype for manuscript is originality, high scientific quality and interest to a multidisciplinary audience.
Its website once provided no address, no names, and no editors. There could be a connection to the SCIRP group, for the About SRA webpage states (9/26/16) that "SCIRP currently has 40 open access journals in the areas of science, technology and medicine." Another page (viewed 10/6/16) urges readers to "Subscribe for Interminable Submissions" by becoming individual, institutional or "cooperation" members. For an annual fee of $1200, the last group's "submitted manuscripts are eligible to avail the waiver."
The membership page displays a connection to yet another dubious publisher, namely, the American Association for Science and Technology (AASCIT). Joining Scirea provides one with a discount "for the publication in AASCIT journals." Still Scirea "takes an opportunity to serve the scientific community, students and researchers with undefiled research works." Who could object to that?
By 6/22/17, a long list of editors for various journals had appeared. The list includes
⊘ Dr. Jyotica Batra, "Deaprtment of Maths and Physics, Kentucky State University, Frankfort, KY, USA" [a Visiting Professor of Physics according to the university's directory]
⊘ Prof. Joseph G Nguyen, Natural and Applied Sciences Department, Mount Mercy University, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
The SCIREA Journal of Computer (yep, that's the full name), has no editor, but a huge editorial board that includes a Dr. Babita (that's the full name) of Lovely Professional University in Punjab. The one board member from the US is Chunhui Guo, Department of Computer Science, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL.
4/22/21: The email does not even give the name of the journal (let alone identify the publisher).
5/5/21: "Smut Clyde" commented on the entry for the Scirea Journal of Sociology that
Back when SCIREA burst onto the scene in 2016, Jeffrey Beall noted that "the internet domain data indicates the registrant is Li Yu of Beijing, China". https://web.archive.org/web/20170113053328/https://scholarlyoa.com/2016/10/06/four-new-sketchy-oa-publishers-from-september-2016/
They clearly swiped much of their web design from SCIRP (along with their business model), not always replacing everything that needed to be replaced. As you noted a few years ago, the 'AbutSCIREA' page initially provided the unhelpful information that "SCIREA is also an academic publisher of open access journals. SCIRP currently has 40 open access journals in the areas of science, technology and medicine." https://web.archive.org/web/20161128020542/http://www.scirea.org/AbutSCIREA
- 9/26/16: A "Dr. Smith" emailed me that inasmuch as "promotion activities are offered for some excellent author," all of its journals would be publishing articles without payment of the normal $100 fee from September 8 through September 30.
- 10/6/16: "Dr. Smith" again: "From October 1 to October 31 promotional activities are offered for some excellent author. No publication fee in all journals."
- 11/17/16, 11/20/16, 12/6/16: No sender's name this time -- just a picture of a hang glider and a "Dear Scholar" note "calling for new members ... working in any research-based discipline, including the chemistry, ... etc. " Clicking on http://www.scirea.org/membership shows the benefits, such as "An increase in your earning potential," "Independent verification of your skills and experience," and of course "Subscription can be availed for all the current journals of SCIREA."
- 12/13/16, 12/22/16: Dear Scholar, Science Research Association (SCIREA) is calling for new members ... from all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the chemistry, medicine, engineering, social sciences, energy, food science, etc. If you are not already a Member, do not worry, JOIN NOW to access the Members-Only content. ... Once you become a member, you can enjoy the benefits ... .
12/31/16: Dear Scholar, Good day to you. ... Science Research Association(SCIREA) is recruiting new members. If you are interested, please click here to learn more. Yours sincerely, Prof. Amer Taqa
Member Services Representative, Science Research Association(SCIREA)
- 1/11/17: Dear Scholar, ... To expand the editorial board and reviewer team, now we sincerely invite you to join us as an editorial member or a reviewer in our journals. ... We ... cordially invite you to join us as an editorial member or a reviewer. If you have any interest, please submit your application ... .
- 3/20/17: [J]oin now to get the Members-only benefits ... To be an SCIREA member, you can take this precious chance to make a good preparation for your potentially fruitful year of 2017. We are always here looking forward to your joining. Hope we can have a pleasant cooperation in the near future.
- 4/4/17 (from firstname.lastname@example.org): Submit Your Paper and Enjoy Privilege. ... SCIREA is poised on offering researchers and research institutions with recent advances in the field of science by researchers and professionals. ... The Article Processing Charges for papers submitted to the journals of SCIREA is only 70 USD before April 30, 2017.
4/9/17 (from email@example.com): Call for Papers and Editorial Members
Dear Scholar, Science Research Association is a leading platform offering journal articles from 39 journals. ... Before April 30, 2017, promotional activities are offered for author: The APCs for manuscripts submitted to Science Research Association is only 70 USD. Submit your article today and gain worldwide visibility ... .
Editorial Invitation. SCIREA sincerely invites you to join the editorial board. As an internationally-recognized publisher, SCIREA can offer you an excellent platform to share ideas, develop your career and have greater impact throughout the world. SCIREA warmly welcomes both scholars and practitioners. Looking forward to your participation. [No signature line]
6/22/19 (from Nyomi@scirea.org): Welcome scholars from Arizona State University (United States) to join SCIREA and submit papers
Dear Scholar, Science Research Association (SCIREA) ... would like to make a special offer for authors from all scholars, expects and researchers in fields such as Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Energy and Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Civil Engineering and Construction Science , etc. ... [F]rom May 1, 2017 to May 31, 2017, SCIREA would like to make a special offer for authors. It means that the APCs for manuscripts submitted to Science Research Association is 90USD. You esteemed authors can take this precious chance to make a good preparation for your potentially fruitful year of 2017. ... SCIREA sincerely invites you to join the editorial board. As an internationally-recognized publisher, SCIREA can offer you an excellent platform to share ideas, develop your career and have greater impact throughout the world. ... [No signature line]
NOTICE: As of 28 May 2021, I have stopped reproducing the incessant emails from SCIREA journals. Pennsylvania State University has blacklisted the webpages for submitting manuscripts, noting that "Access to the Website you were trying to use has been blocked because it could possibly be unsafe or potentially malicious."